Happy Friday to me, happy Friday to me, happy Friday and holiday week, happy Friday to me
No I haven’t lost my mind. Although many would debate that issue, mainly the hubster. I like to say he is the one who lost his mind. I woke up singing the Friday song – keep in mind I said to me – and he actually went to check his phone to make sure it was Friday!
Hilarious!! I mean we all know that the day is truly Thursday. I haven’t gone cuckoo, not yet. Now black Friday is coming up so I am sure the cuckoo will be here soon, but for now I am as sane as I can be
Today is MY FRIDAY. Not his Friday, not the boys’ Friday, maybe not your Friday, but it is mine. I am taking a mental health day tomorrow. I need a mental health day. I am greatly depressed. Why?
Let me introduce you to my future husband, he just doesn’t know that yet. I am patiently waiting for that day to come. Until then I decided to lure him out of hiding with his favorite pre-game meal. How do I know what his pre-game meal is. Honey all of the New Orleans area and some beyond know what this meal is……
Beefy Mac! I spent many an hour in the kitchen the other night making this meal. I was so sure that I would hear a knock at my door, get a hearty thank you, a nice big hug, and he would finally realize that since I cook his favorite meal (a healthier version no less) that I am the person he is destined to spend the rest of his life with!
That didn’t happen :( So of course I was left saddened, a little depressed, and just down right stuffed from eating all that beefy mac. That is when I realized that I needed a mental health day. Lucky for all of you I am in a happy mood today. I have fun plans for tomorrow, and since today is such a fabulous day I am sharing the beefy mac recipe with you all. Under one condition. If Brees shows up at your house when you cook it claiming that you are his future wife, please direct him my way. After all taking credit for my
destiny as his wife healthier version of this dish is plagiarism….I think??
Beefy Mac & Cheese
- 1 lb. lean/grass fed ground beef
- small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2t each of oregano & thyme
- 1 can rotel tomatoes
- 2T whole wheat flour
- 1 + 1/2c skim milk
- 1c shredded cheese made with low fat milk (I use Cabot)
- 1 + 1/2c dry whole wheat macaroni pasta
- Preheat oven to 375*
- Place pasta water on stove to boil, add pasta and cook until al dente
- Brown ground meat in a sauce pan with onion and garlic, add in seasonings and tomatoes.
- Mix together the flour and a couple of tablespoons of the milk until a paste forms, cook this over medium heat for a few minutes to cook out the raw flour taste, slowly add the remaining milk while whisking, bring to a simmer.
- When the milk is slightly boiling allow it to cook for about 1 minute to thicken, remove from heat and add 3/4c cheese to melt.
- Place the meat and pasta in a 13×9 baking dish, pour cheese mixture over the top, and stir to combine. Sprinkle remaining 1/4c cheese over the top and bake for 20 minutes.
Serve this along with a nice salad, oh and for the man a hearty piece of bread. Even if the “famous hubster” doesn’t show up, I promise the daily hubster will enjoy it. He will smile because he thinks that you have cooked an unhealthy dish. He will comment about how good it tastes. He will tell you that he likes your healthy meals, but he really wishes you will cook like this a little more often.
Then you will smile and say yes dear – that will be the only time you ever voice those words to the hubster – I will gladly cook like this more often :)
Hey Drew, I still have leftovers in the fridge!