I’ve had better days!
Even though I enjoyed this for breakfast
Carrot Cake Oats
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- 1/3c almond milk
- 1c water
- pinch of salt
- 1/3c scottish oats
- 2T flaxseed
- 1/4c shredded carrots
- dash vanilla
- sprinkle of cinnamon
Add first four ingredients in a small sauce pan. Once it comes to a simmer add the oats, flax, and carrots. Cook on low according to directions for your oats, remember to whisk in order to “whip” the bananas. Add the vanilla and cinnamon towards the end of cooking. Top with choice of toppings
Toppings of choice this morn: Nuttzo & Coconut cream – cuz every “cake” needs some icing right?
But yes, I have had better days…
- I woke up before the alarm went off 😦
- I didn’t have any snow in my yard this morn:(
- I am extremely bloated – not that you really wanted to know that 😦
- I have congestion in my chest 😦
- My paperwork is getting out of control at work….pray I make my deadline 😦
- I am losing my voice! 😦
Definitely better days! My voice started going out around lunch today. The worst part, I had to go to my son’s pre-k class this afternoon to talk about my job for community helpers week. With. No. Voice!
Isn’t that lovely?? A speech therapist that can’t talk! Of course I would tell any client that had this issue to hydrate with lots of water and get vocal rest. Can I do that? No! I have to do therapy, talk to a pre-k class about my work, spend 30 minutes on the phone with AT&T since they can’t get my mom’s phone set up correctly, take two little boys to Wal Mart to get things for Valentine’s day parties, and then come home with said kids and fuss…..cuz you know they know that momma can’t talk!
I told you – I’ve had better days!
What’s the plus side of being sick with no voice?
- You have your colleagues offering to help you out 🙂
- Your son’s class thinks your so funny even when you crack the dumbest jokes 🙂
- You can drink hot chai tea All. Day. Long 🙂
- You get everything your way at home with the hubster, you know since you can’t talk and all 🙂
- You have an excuse to make one of the best soups ever 🙂
- You get dessert, cuz you know a little chocolate just might help your voice 🙂
If you can’t have a cheeseburger (drat braces), throw it into a soup!
- 1 lb. ground meat (I used venison)
- 3/4c chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4c shredded carrot
- 3/4c chopped celery (leaves and stalks)
- 1t. basil
- 1t. parsley
- 2T butter
- 3-4c diced potatoes
- 2c chicken broth + 2c water
- 1.5c skim milk
- 2T corn starch
- 1-1.5c shredded cheddar
- salt & pepper to taste
- melt 1T butter in a large pot and saute the onion and ground meat until no longer pink. set aside in a bowl
- using the same pot melt the other T of butter and saute the celery, carrots, basil, and parsley until carrots are tender.
- add the chicken stock, water, and meat back to the pot. bring to a boil.
- add the potatoes, bring back to a boil and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- whisk the cornstarch and milk together, pour into a small saucepan and whisk over medium heat until it thickens and becomes smooth.
- add the milk to the soup, bring to a simmer, then add in the cheese and stir to melt.
Oh my lawd, oh my lawd, this soup was so good! The hubster enjoyed two large bowls of it, and he kept complimenting me on how good the soup was. Looks like I have a winner 🙂
Then there was dessert…..
My version of chocolate chip cookie – sandwich thin lightly toasted and smeared with pecan butter, shredded coconut, and bittersweet chocolate chips. Pop in the microwave for about 8-10 seconds. Just enough to melt the chips a little, and enjoy 🙂
I think another cup of hot chai tea is in order. You know since I can’t talk and all !