I like to think of myself as a very creative person.
While most people will tell you that I am your average girl, which I would have to agree with, I am creative.
Who else will wake up on a Monday morning and ponder for five minutes over what to have for breakfast? A creative person that’s who.
Even better is when I make the decision of what to have for breakfast, I spend a good fifteen minutes preparing it. That is 20 minutes spent on breakfast alone. This doesn’t include eating it!
So if it takes you 20 minutes to prepare your breakfast wouldn’t you say that it is going to be a creative one?
I should say so!
Pancake Pear Stacks
- 1/2c oats
- 1T flaxseed
- 1T wheat germ
- 1T chia seeds
- 1t baking powder
- salt & cinnamon
- 1/2 banana, mashed
- 1 egg, 1egg white
- few drops of stevia
- dash of vanilla
- pecan butter
- 1 pear sliced
- place all dry ingredients into a small bowl, make a well in the middle, and add the wet ingredients.
- mix the ingredients well and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes
- preheat griddle or pan
- cook cakes on both sides until brown and cooked completely through the middle
- start layers with a pancake topped with pear slices and drizzle of honey until you finish the stack with the last topping of pear slices
- drizzle creamy drippy roasted pecan butter (freshly made) on top of pancakes
This has to be one of the best breakfasts that I have had in a while. Now I will warn you. Those pretty layers do not hold together very well when you begin cutting into them but I promise you will not care. I literally licked my plate clean on this one. There is only one word to describe this meal – slammin!
If you have never tried to make your own pecan butter before, I suggest doing that now. It is the most drippy butter ever. No oil required. Just roast up some pecans in your oven, toss them into your food processor with a little vanilla and cinnamon, and turn that baby on. That is it – nice drippy pecan butter. I
dream of love this stuff!
Now that my friends is a creative meal. One that is very difficult to follow behind.
So since I
used all of my creativity had such a spectacular breakfast, I decided I needed to turn to a favorite magazine for some dinner recipes. My Oxygen mag came in a few days ago with some yummy looking recipes in them. One in particular caught my eye.
Tuna Casserole (adapted from Oxygen Magazine)
- 1 small sweet potato
- 6T parmesan cheese (nutritional yeast for vegan option)
- 1T greek yogurt
- 1t dijon mustard
- 1t garlic powder
- 1t black pepper
- 1c milk (I used 1/2 buttermilk & 1/2 – 2% milk)
- 1t olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1c frozen green peas
- 2 c brown rice
- 1 can of tuna, drained and flaked
- preheat oven to 400 degrees
- peel sweet potato, heat in microwave, and mash well with a fork
- in a large bowl, mix together cheese, yogurt, mustard, garlic powder, pepper, and milk.
- add mashed sweet potato and blend well to get a creamy, orange sauce
- heat oil in a skillet, sauté onion until soft
- add peas and rice heat through
- add potato mixture and tuna
- place in an 8×8 dish (sprayed with non-stick spray) and bake for 20 minutes
- serve on a bed of steamed spinach
This dish makes four servings. The nutrients per serving:
- calories: 330
- total fats: 6g
- sat. fats: 1g
- trans fats: 0g
- cholesterol: 18 mg
- sodium: 274 mg
- carbs: 45g
- fiber: 8g
- sugars: 9g
- protein: 25g
- iron: 3mg
Those are some impressive stats! This casserole was delish. It was super easy to throw together, used common ingredients found in my house, and is really healthy for you. Give me casseroles like this any day of the week 🙂
On the plus side I get to have leftovers for later in the week. The hubster is
willingly required to attend a top six tournament for the bass fishing clubs in our area. He is the president of his club, and of course in the top six of the club, which means he will be one of six guys going to represent the club. I am not sure how many clubs are fishing for the title of “best club”, sounds very silly and boyish to me. Anyway, he goes every year so I will be a single momma from Wed. until late Sunday night. I just may need you guys to send reinforcement!