I like to think of myself as a Southern Belle. Really I do.
easily picture myself standing on the veranda in a huge ball gown awaiting for my beau to come a sit for iced tea, waiting for him to court me, waiting for him to ask me to marry him, waiting to give him a house full of children, waiting on a man hand and foot….yeah right!
While I love the movies and books, such as Gone With The Wind, tales of the South, and the romance involved in such tales, I am no traditional southern belle type. Give me modern AC, shopping, heels, glamour, etc. I am such a girl’s girl, independent, outspoken, and I totally have a mind of my own. Just ask the hubster.
I mean me waiting on a man. Not happening. Now a man waiting on me – totally happens on a daily basis, just ask the work husband!
But no matter how modern I am, I am still a girl from the south! This makes me happy most of the time. I say most for a reason people. Come visit me around the end of July beginning of August and you will understand why I say most. Pure, suffocating, unbearable heat! That is when I wish I were from the great North. Any Northerners want to house swap with me??
Not interested in that? Well okay. I can’t blame you for not wanting to come down in that type of heat. But I can interest you in some southern food, right? Yes, well great!
Southern White Beans & Rice
- 1 bag of white beans (small or large, I prefer small)
- 1 small bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1c celery, diced
- 2T sea salt
- 1T black pepper
- 1/4t cayenne pepper (can add more if you like spice)
- 6-8c of cooking liquid (use a combination of stock and water)
- smoked sausage, sliced
- Be sure to soak your beans overnight. Just place them in a bowl with enough water to cover them a few inches above the beans.
- In the morning add all ingredients to a crock pot and turn on low heat. Cook all day on low or 3-4 hours on high.
That is it! It is that simple. So what makes these southern you ask. Well in Louisiana we start most all of our dishes with what we call the holy trinity. That is the mixture of bell pepper, onion, and celery that is finely diced. Oh and also the cayenne because all dishes here have a little cayenne in them 🙂
Now of course no bean and rice dish is complete in the lovely south without something to accompany it. By accompany, I do mean bread. We love some bread! But not just any bread, oh no. If you are cooking beans, you must cook cornbread. But I don’t have just any cornbread. I have the hubster’s favorite corn bread!
Southern Cornbread – hubster style
- 1 box jiffy corn muffin mix (hey I said it was hubster style, not clean eating style..,lol!)
- 1 can corn, drained
- shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 400
- This is crucial – place a cast iron skillet in the oven while it is preheating
- Mix the corn muffin mix according to package directions
- Stir in corn kernels
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven, oil the cast iron skillet and pour the mixture in
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes
- Cover the corn bread with shredded cheese and bake 5-10 minutes longer to finish cooking the bread and melt the cheese.
The cast iron skillet cooks fabulous cornbread. By preheating the skillet before hand you will end up with a beautiful golden brown color to the bottom of your bread 🙂
Want to see how we eat this down south?…
The cornbread is eaten in the bowl with the beans of course! We have been know to skip the rice and just have the beans poured over the bread. So run out and gather the ingredients necessary to make this dish. I promise you will thank me when you come home to a cooked meal this tasty 🙂
Happy hump day everyone! So tell me how is your Wednesday? Mine – not so bad, after all I have last night’s leftovers for lunch today 🙂