In preparation for Mother’s Day I thought I would share a new recipe that I tested out this morning. Many of us will be celebrating this holiday in a variety of ways. Some will visit their mothers later in the day, some live with their mothers, while some of us are mothers!
Are you at a loss what to serve your mom for Mother’s day? Well I for one love to get pancakes 🙂
But if your mom is more of the simple type and likes a basic breakfast, then I have a treat for you. This recipe is a nice bowl of creamy oats, but has a little indulgence to it! Not to mention I have discovered a new trick in getting super creamy oats!
What is my trick? I will give you that little bit of info ahead of time. I have been incorporating a beaten egg into my oats for added protein for some time now. I usually always temper the egg and add it in during the cooking process. Well this mornings recipe gave me insight on a better way to incorporate that little serving of protein.
Creme Brulee Oatmeal
- 1/3c oats, soaked in a little water (just cover to the top of the oats with water)
- 1/2 sliced banana
- 1/3c milk
- 1/3c water
- 1 egg
- 1/2t vanilla
- dash salt
- 1T flaxseed
- 1t of turbinado sugar & 1t of brown sugar
- Place the egg in a cup and beat with with a whisk, add the milk & water, whisk until well blended.
- Place the egg mixture in the pot with you banana, salt, & vanilla. Bring to a simmer while whisking.
- Preheat broiler
- Pour your oats (and soaking water) into the pot. Continue to whisk while cooking.
- Add in your flaxseed and cinnamon, continue to whisk until nice and creamy
- Pour oats into an oven safe dish.
- Mix together both sugars, sprinkle on top of oats, place under broiler for a few minutes. Watch carefully so you do not burn the sugar.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool, and enjoy!
The oats turned out much creamier by pre-mixing the egg ahead of time. It made the mixture custard like, which is where the idea comes from since creme brulee is a custard based dish.
So go make this for mom. Or print the recipe out, give it to your significant other, and give a hint about breakfast in bed 🙂