There are many things that I love about living in the south. I love that we have festivals for everything. I love that we have unbelievable seafood. I love that we have Mardi Gras & king cakes….
But most of all I love that we have good ol’ southern cooking!
Like this wonderful southern “Jiffy” cornbread.
The Lawfully Wedded Wife had a past several days ago about this wonderful food! She made corn muffins with the same basic recipe that I use, but I make mine sweet like Jiffy – cuz the hubster likes it that way. Only this time I subbed in some stevia to make it a little more healthier…..trying to play around with some recipes. The husbster loved it!
- 1c cornmeal
- 1c unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2t. baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1 t salt
- 2T NuNaturals stevia baking blend
- 1T honey/maple syrup/turbinado sugar (I used honey)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/4 c. skim milk
- 1/3 c applesauce
- -Mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and stevia together in a mixing bowl.
- -In a separate small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients.
- -Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently stir. Don’t over mix, you should have some lumps.
- -Grease a cast iron skillet and pour the batter in.
- -Bake at 400 degrees for about 20-30 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.
This is wonderful! I was so happy that the hubster approved. Now I have a recipe to make our bread healthier with natural ingredients 🙂