This post should be titled Wacky Wednesday!
Because that is what it has been – a wacky day. Crazy schedules, chasing down teachers/principal for signatures, parent conference, students filled with attitudes – man you gotta love middle school.
But it is What I Ate Wednesday – and since I missed last weeks party I couldn’t miss out on today as well 🙂
Happy Wednesday to you all!
Today is a very busy Wednesday for me. It is the first week of therapy for the school year. It is the first week that I have to travel to my second school for a full day. It is the first day that I will be in a book closet all day. Away from the fridge. Away from the microwave. Away from the bathroom.
I miss my own personal little office already. And yes I do mean a book closet. Literally!
We speech therapist can never be to choosy now can we 🙂
So for WIAW today, I present to you portable foods. Foods that can easily be taken in between schools, that can last in a cooler, and that have no need for a freezer.
- wonderful bowl of oats (what’s on top you ask – I am getting to that)
- black eyed peas & rice
- roasted okra
- tiny salad
- mixed citrus fruit
- Coconut Pecan Sandies – yum!
- A Hugh Jass salad – gotta love Mama Pea’s book 🙂
Last night I had a bit of a sweet tooth. Or should I say teeth, because honestly I never have just one! Of course this could be due to the fact that I have a bag of oreos and a 1/2 gallon of the most decadent chocolate Blue Bell ice cream in my house…..that darn hubster of mine!
So I had to make something that I could enjoy. I didn’t want something over the top sweet. I didn’t want something full of fat, sugar, and the such. Darn it I wanted a cookie – and a healthy one.
So the dream of Helen, Naturally Coconut-Pecan Sandies came to be……
I wanted a soft, crumbly cookie, with just the right amount of sweetness, healthy ingredients, and something you could eat more than one of without any guilt.
- 1/2c peanut butter (or nut butter of your choice)
- 1/4c coconut oil
- enough stevia to substitute 1/4c sugar (I used a mixture of 3 packets and 1/8c baking blend)
- 2c unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3T shredded coconut
- 1/4c pecan pieces
- Place nut butter, coconut oil, and stevia in your mixing bowl and mix until creamy.
- Slowly add in the flour. If mixture is too crumbly add 1-2T water to soften
- Mix in the pecan pieces and coconut.
- Roll mixture into a log and place in fridge for about 30 minutes (or freezer for around 10 if impatient – like me). At this point you need to pre-heat your oven to 350.
- Lightly flour a clean work surface. At this point you can either cut the cookie log with a knife into round discs, or use cookie cutters to cut out cookies.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for about 20-25 minutes.
- Cool on pan for one minute, then place on cooling rack to cool.
Now that is a soft, crumbly, just sweet enough cookie. I couldn’t stop at having them for snack only – oh no! We had to crumble two of them on top of our morning bowl of oats, with a blob of white chocolate wonder, over the top oats. YUM!
Of course you can use regular butter and sugar in the recipe if you want, but then you would have to fill guilty of eating more than one!
Happy Wednesday to you all!