I do not give weekend recaps very often here on Helen Naturally. No it is not done because I have nothing to write about. When you live with three males you can always find something to write about!
I do recaps when I have something that excites me to share. The reason I do not do this every Monday is simple…..most often our weekends are pretty low key, aka boring.
We do the same things. Stay home. Go visit family. Weekend grocery trips. Occasionally a little shopping. So what is different about this weekend? Well for one I enjoyed a lovely Pumpkin Spice Iced Latte – yeah at 4$ for a tall we will be making our own at home very soon , and……….
We made a trip to my beloved farmer’s market/produce stand/vegetable stand……yeah they have various names here in our hometown. But it is usually just known as Berrytown!
I have mentioned my farmer’s market on here before. The lovely stand is a local farm in Ponchatoula, LA. Most of the produce that is offered in the store is from the farm. The jams/jellies/preserves are all made by the family that owns the farm. Honey is local. Salad dressings are homemade. You can even buy fresh breads, oils, etc. Oh and they have a phenomenal frozen food sections. You guessed it, lot’s of frozen veggies from the farm, breads, but you can also buy frozen meals that they have prepared. Of course they aren’t of the healthy variety due to butters/creams, but they are made with fresh ingredients.
Not to mention they have a fudge stand!
So why am I so excited?
Because I found this! They have started selling items sweetened with real fruit juice as opposed to sugar 🙂
I am in love. I was super excited to see that they are selling spreads and “butters” (apple, pumpkin, etc) sweetened with fruit juices. This means that I can buy fresh, homemade spreads to go with the boys lunches as opposed to regular jellies loaded with white sugar. That is if I don’t eat the entire jar first!
So what is a girl with fresh fig spread to do. Why bake biscuits of course!
- 3/4c buttermilk
- 3/4c butter
- 1c whole wheat pastry flour
- 1c unbleached all purpose flour
- 1T baking powder
- 1t salt
- 1t stevia baking blend (or sugar)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk to mix well.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture until it is crumbly. (tip: I use the food processor for this)
- Pour the buttermilk into the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Turn dough out onto a floured board and roll it into a rectangle. Of course depending on how “thick” you want your biscuits will determine how much you roll it. I usually do a rectangle around 10X10.
- Fold the ends of the dough together (like you are folding it in half)
- Use a glass to cut into rounds and transfer to your pan sprayed with non-stick spray. (I use a cast iron skillet)
- Bake for around 10-12 mintues.
Now this recipe will make approximately 8-10 biscuits depending on how big you cut them. If you want grand size biscuits then it will of course make a few less. But they are oh so soft and fluffy 🙂
And that my friends was the highlight of my weekend! That and one other thing that you will just have to wait until tomorrow to hear about 🙂