That is the word that I will have to use to describe my weekend! It was fabulous 🙂
I was a bad girl. I mean a bad, bad girl!! I didn’t count calories for Saturday or Sunday…..you shall see why! I didn’t exercise as planned on Friday or Sunday…..you shall see why! I totally loved my weekend of freedom…..now I will show you why 🙂
We worked outside this weekend. The hubster washed down the house, I weeded the front beds. We started working on plans for an herb garden (inserted giddy clapping, squealing, jumping up and down here), we had a picnic with the boys, enjoyed fried fish, read the entire new Pioneer Woman cookbook in a day, and drank sangria!!
Oh and let’s not forget the apple dumplings 🙂
Apple Dumplings (adapted from the Pioneer Woman-for full original recipe please see the book or the website.)
- 1 can cresent rolls
- 1 granny smith apple
- 6T butter
- 1/2c sugar
- 1/2t vanilla
- 1/2-1t cinnamon (depending on how much you like cinnamon – we all know I do!)
- 6 oz. of sprite
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Butter a 9×9 baking dish. Yes I said butter!! Spray would work fine too 🙂
- Core and quarter the apples into eight pieces. Or just do like me and use your apple slicer, which will leave you with ten slices but who is counting right??
- Oh and you will want to peel the apples after you slice. Or you could not, I could care less either way!
- Roll a slice of apple into each cresent roll. You can fold the ends in to completely cover the apple slice if you want, but this is not required. Then place the rolls into the buttered dish. You can throw in the remaining two slices as well. Or you could just eat them, that is entirely up to you.
- Melt the butter, and sugar on the stove. Sugar doesn’t need to be dissolved, just as long as the butter in melted you are good to go! And yes you must use butter, the real stuff. That is a requirement for a southern dish….lol! But seriously if you sub, I will not tell……
- Stir the vanilla and cinnamon into the butter mixture. Then pour the mixture over the top of the rolls. All over the top of the rolls. Then smell the goodness of butter, sugar, and cinnamon. Plead with yourself to leave them be until they are baked. It will be hard not to drink it, but you must restrain yourself!!
- Now for the fun part. Pour the six ounces of sprite around the sides of the dish. I know, I know sounds crazy! But it is a must, and oh so good. I promise you will not regret this decision. Oh and just to make yourself feel better, use sprite zero. Zero calories means healthy, right????
- Now place the dish into the oven. Bake it for about 40 minutes. Yes the full 40! I know it will be tempting to eat it after 10 but trust me you will not want to. Soggy undercooked bread……na I’ll wait.
- Once it is done, try to let it cool a little. I know this is very hard but your mouth will thank me, or you, later. Serve with some vanilla ice cream. It is mandatory. One must not eat apple dumplings without it~!
- AND….now you can thank me for providing you with you Easter dessert. I will pass that thanks along to Ree along with mine since this will surely be my Easter dessert. Not that she will actually get it. Or that she will actually care. Because I am sure she will be too busy enjoying her own Easter dessert!!
Help I need intervention. And a vegetable! And a fruit! Oh and a darn workout 🙂
So how was your weekend?